Thursday, February 3, 2011

Please, Explain It To Me


I guess I’m just getting old. At times that seem unpredictable, my mind latches onto something from my past, like a song lyric. For many years I’ve honestly claimed that the reason I didn’t ask my students to memorize lines of poetry is that I can’t memorize. The few exceptions are things I remember from childhood games, or religious creeds I learned 40 years ago, or parts of songs that get stuck in my head—and as we all know, sometimes ruin our day when they are tunes and lyrics that we recall not liking to begin with. Let me not dredge one of those up to be with me for the rest of this day. Last night, awake for a short time, a song that I remember from our backyard game of harmonizing, latched onto my brain. Groggy with sleep, I thought, I want to remember this in the morning. And so I have. You sing the melody to this song that sometimes entertained the innocents on the school bus. I’ll take the harmony.

Tell me why the stars do shine;
Tell me why the ivy twines.
Tell me why the ocean's blue;
And I will tell you just why I love you.
Because He made the stars to shine;
Because He made the ivy twine;
Because He made the ocean blue;
Because He made you,
That's why I love you!

And so it is.

1 comment:

Callie Magee Antiques said...

Harold,
What memories of school days your post brought back. We sang that same song on the band bus to and from football games and at slumber parties too. I have not thought of the words in years.
Thanks for bringing back the memory of those times.
Lois