Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day


Tena Fuchs Hollis 1917 - 2007

"For much of the human race, the mother is the one who parts the veil for us. She gives us that experience of grounding, of intimacy, of tenderness, of safety that most of us hope for from God." (from the Daily Mediation for May 13, 2012, Richard Rohr, OFM, Center for Action and Contemplation, Albuquerque New Mexico)


The day I took this photo of our mother in April of 2006, she and Joan, our oldest sister, were about to leave for Mother's home west of Houston. Mother is standing in front of an arbor formed from a wire panel, which normally is used for building fences to manage livestock. The backdrop is a vine gifted to me from Edna Rustenbach Fuchs--our Aunt Edna--who was married to Mother's only brother, our mother's only sibling. I don't know the name of the vine. It came to Aunt Edna through her mother, Emily Rustenbach, who called it simply, "Blue Bells".


Mother never liked having her photo taken. I remember that our grandmother, Lizzie Fuchs, also didn't care much for having her photo taken. In many photos of Mother, she looks a little sad. She was self conscious at times--maybe all the time--although she certainly had a friendly nature. Maybe she struggled with her own worthiness. We'll never know how much the struggle colored her life. In spite of all the questions I had for Mother over the years about family, I didn't ask nearly enough. I took some notes, which I treasure, but no, I didn't ask nearly enough. She loved being around family, and she liked to talk about family. Mother told me much more about our daddy's family than he ever shared. Now, those in our generation are left to continue figuring things out for ourselves. I see little of the curiosity I feel about family evident in my nieces and nephews. Who knows how curious they will become as they finally realize that time is slipping away.


Mother was strong in her German Lutheran faith. If we ever talked about God having a feminine side, I don't recall, although I doubt that she would have been opposed to a prayer that begins with "Father Mother God".


Father Mother God, speak in my heart. Shine your light on my path, guide me on this journey. I will live out my days in your love. May your love be the gift that I give to others. I pray your blessings on this and every day, for all the Mothers, Fathers, Sons and Daughters of this earth. Namaste.



No comments: