Monday, October 6, 2014

Art Found

Just over from the Chamisa and cactus that fill one side of the walk from Mountain Street to the front of the Museum of Albuquerque, and just past a life-size sculpture of quiet human activity cast in bronze by esteemed Santa Fe sculptor Glenna Goodacre, is a low stone wall built in honor of Florence Parker--"Florence 'Flo' Parker Memorial Sculpture Garden".





Were it not for the utility poles standing in the distance, signaling close by development, this Chamisa could be flourishing in the foothills on the east side of Albuquerque or on the West Mesa.


As I was leaving the museum yesterday morning, I noticed a lone slingback high heel sitting on the right side of the plaque honoring Ms. Parker. Odd, I thought, as I continued walking away, heading to Old Town Albuquerque, a long block away down Mountain. Then it dawned on me--a thought about what this shoe possibly represented. I'm trusting in my sense of goodness that a Saturday night respite on this low wall saw a local partier walk away barefoot, leaving behind a shoe. It looks like a party shoe, gleaming silver-gold, sleek, having danced a few miles. Since I know absolutely nothing of how this shoe got there and remained on the wall Sunday morning, I choose not to take this any other direction. Maybe it was planted intentionally as staged art.




No comments: