Saturday, March 24, 2018

Approach to my 2-story barn home in Leon County TX

Back in 2007, after the death of my mother, Tena Elizabeth Fuchs Hollis, I started a blog. A long-time art and antiques collector and a reluctant dealer of same, I thought I would write about my adventures in the hunt for treasure. What developed was very different. For 2 or 3 years I had plenty to say about what mattered to me, my parents, memories of growing up, my Texas German and English/Scots Irish heritage, belief, my connection with other humans and sometimes failure to connect....


Grounds of the Santuario, Chimayo New Mexico


The blog morphed, became more about pictures with comments, or poems, or quotes from someone who had led or was leading a life that touched and influenced others. Then I essentially let it go. I became fairly active on Facebook, mostly limiting my posts to once a day. My list of friends grew, including close and extended family, people I had grown up with or gone to college with, people I've gotten to know over my adult life.

Several times I've felt that much of what shows up on FB is just not for me, and this has become more pronounced in the current political environment. I'm sad and sickened by much of what I've read, to the point that I have unfriended kin and not kin alike. I have even been unfriended by one of my sisters and her daughter. This is the same sister that last July I deeded my Texas home to--a 2-story barn-become-home that at one time had a beautiful native Texas garden that I developed and nurtured her a 7 year period, most of it concurrent with my mother's illness and death.

My first bottle tree in the Leon County garden

At times, digging in the dirt was what helped me keep my head above water. I took the Master Gardener class. I beamed with my successes and sighed over my failures in the garden, and in my life itself. If you've looked at my FB page over time, you've seen pics of that Texas garden. I have decided to drop out of Facebook. If anyone wants to know where to find me, I'll probably be piddling with my blog. Blessings and best regards to all who have touched my life on Facebook.

No comments: