Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Texas Centennial Cast Iron Doorstop

The Texas Centennial, marking 100 years of Texas independence, was officially celebrated in 1936, although local observances began in 1935. The Central Centennial Exposition in Dallas and the Frontier Centennial in Fort Worth continued through 1937. These cast iron doorstops are one of the many souvenirs produced to commemorate the centennial. Commemoratives made from glass, paper, fabric, plastic, and metal were produced in abundance. Some collectors have assembled examples from all these. The cast iron doorstops, featuring a quarter moon decorated in relief with a longhorn steer and cactus, are among the rarer items out there. I lucked upon this example at a shop in central Texas. It appears to have been repainted.




1 comment:

pcaskey said...

I know I'm replying to an old post but my Grandparents home in Huntsville, TX is about to be torn down by the new owners who will close on the property this coming Friday. I went there earlier in the week looking for any old cast iron skillets they may have left behind. I not only found one, but I also picked up an old doorstop that I've seen around the old home since I was a kid. To my surprise, it turns out to be one of the Texas Centennial half-moon doorstops. This one is unpainted and glad I grabbed it, not knowing anything about it but I certainly find this article very interesting.

Thanks,

Paul